In July 2014, we surveyed firms and enterprises on the Phoenix Estate/North Street to assess how many and what kind of businesses would be affected by redevelopment.
Who we surveyed
All businesses were surveyed, with exception of those south of Phoenix Place: CA Car Parts, Coach Company, Wenban Smith and Gosnells Soap Factory (and storage Containers, North St). Two (Wenban Smith, Gosnells) are intending to relocate to the proposed Malling Brooks Industrial Estate.
Composition of businesses on site
In total there are 50 businesses on the remainder of the site:
- 7 centres for the arts, comprising 85 workshops/studios and 13 venues
- 13 community/charitable/educational enterprises
- 13 manufacturing & design businesses
- 12 service businesses
- 2 light industrial
- 2 construction businesses
- 1 retail business
None of these businesses has had relocation or new premises on site confirmed.
- There are 453 jobs on the Phoenix Estate
- Weekly footfall is 3,972 people
- The site currently provides 14,109 sq metres of industrial, workshop and businesses space.
- A quarter of businesses have had discussions at some point over the last two years regarding relocation, but indicate that nothing confirmed or affordable has been offered.
- Two businesses are in advanced discussions about new premises on the development site.
- Seventy-five percent of businesses have never been contacted